3/18/2007

Toll Transponder Overcharging is Widespread


I received this email about one of the details of the bureaucratic toll tax - The dreaded TxTag (TaxTag):

Hi Sal,

I had told you about the "invoice" I had received from TexasTollways for a vehicle that I had sold prior to it getting cited.

I have spent several hours and emails trying to straighten it out, and just got another "invoice" - it is up to $4 now.
The interesting thing about this invoice is that the section of the invoice that should specify the date and location of the violation - does not contain any information about the original citation.

And to top it off - the font is the smallest possible, not legible to me without magnifying glasses.
The reason I point this out is that without the original dates of violation/invoice, a person with multiple charges would have no way to determine if these were accurate or not. In case you have not seen these statments before I have scanned a copy and attached it here for you.

Greg
And, it's not just cars that you don't own that absorb your time and money. States including Texas, California, Florida, and Maryland toll transponders (that automatically deduct funds from a credit card account) are overcharging motorists all the time.

Often, they will not even know this is happening. For example, the Harris County, Texas Toll Road Authority admitted just days ago that its use of an automatic vehicle classification device designed to catch "toll cheats" was instead cheating law-abiding motorists! Read more HERE.

No comments: