8/02/2007

- UPDATE - Barker Roofing points finger at Meritage Homes and Refuses to “Make it Right”.

Barker Roofing says they were
forced to install roof that leaks.

I've got to tell you about this unrelated sham I'm dealing with over the past month. Perhaps the fact that I get over 1,000 hits a week from Texans that read this blog could help educate others. SEE BELOW FOR UPDATE.

In 2001 my wife and I purchased a new home new from Hammond's Homes (now called Meritage Homes - Meritage Homes Corporation (NYSE:MTH).

We have a Lifetime Warranty for our Spanish tile roof (concrete tile by Monier Life Tile). The warranty is administered through the Texas wide contractor who installed the roof, BARKER ROOFING.

We had no leaks, until just weeks ago.


(above pic) The misshapen lead boot where Barker Roofing says the leak is coming from - note there is no PVC pipe to be seen as in picture below. (below pic) Another example of Barker Roofing's shoddy workmanship on my roof - you can see the pvc pipe in this one but note the lead boot is too short to wrap over the top correctly - with hole exposed between boot and pvc pipe at 5 o'clock mark.

First off, it took weeks of phone calls to get Barker Roofing to respond. I’ve heard this same issue from a neighbor just 2 doors down. I’ve needed to contact them a few times a week, to get partial answers about the leak in my roof during almost daily rains here in Austin, Texas.

A nice gentleman of mexican decent with a heavy accent came to inspect the leak. It was difficult to understand him, but we did our best to communicate.

He told me the leak was caused by a pvc pipe that was installed as a vent, that protrudes from the tiles within a lead boot. The Barker Roofing representative told me the PVC pipe was much too short when the roof was built. He told me the tar used for flashing had cracked under the boot causing it to leak.

This seemed cut and dry to me - especially since we had a lifetime roof warranty - The roof was not installed correctly, and I figured they would take the responsibility and fix it for free.

But Barker said I’d need to pay them about $300 to fix it.

Barker Roofing told me that it’s Hammond's/Meritage fault. That they’ve told builders like Hammond's/Meritage about short pipes before, and the builder choose not to extend the pvc pipes, so Barker Roofing was forced to install the boot improperly.

That’s a sorry excuse for running a business.

Ah, the finger pointing game. Don’t you love it?

Barker Roofing installed the roof incorrectly. Barker Roofing needs to take the responsibility and fix it. Period.

On Barker Roofing’s website, the President, Keith Barker (kbarker@barkerroofing.com) states:
“...we get the job done right, or I'll make it RIGHT!”.
Bullshit Keith.

You didn’t do the job right Keith, and now you're trying to run away from your responsibility. Barker Roofing sucks.

UPDATE: email from Barker Roofing's President and my response:

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 07:20:31 -0500
From: "Keith Barker"
To: "sal costello"
CC: "Kelley, Lance"

Mr. Costello you will have a written response this afternoon when I get back into Austin. I will clarify in detail what needs to be done along with the proper information on the warranty of a tile roof. But like my office said if a plumbing pipe is too low then the plumber has to raise it for us to flash.

Thank you,
Keith A. Barker
President, Barker Roofing
512-243-5244
512-848-4687 Cell


-------------------------------

8/2/07

Dear Mr. Barker,

I agree. You're workers should have never installed the lead boot if the plumbing pipe was too low.

I will be contacting FOX's news program "7 On Your Side", BBB and many others if you don't choose to take the responsibility and fix your poor workmanship by Monday.

On your website you said "...we get the job done right, or I'll make it RIGHT!”.

I'm waiting Keith.

You didn't do the job right - excuses don't cut it,
Sal Costello

ANOTHER UPDATE COMING FRIDAY
Send this article to others across Texas
by clicking the envelope icon below.

1 comment:

Sal Costello said...

EMAIL FROM PETER:

Sal,

Amazing.

Several years ago I had a problem with my roof also. And guess what... Barker did the job. It took a while to get them to come out and deal with it. Keep on hounding the area supervisor who comes to your home.

The nails are coming up from the roofing job again. I will have to deal with it soon once more.

P